Thursday, February 14, 2013
This is my entry for Pallavi's( A Cook @ Heart ) the "I must make that "contest . The pictures in her blog are so tempting I could eat the food with my eyes . She is hosting a contest and giveaway and this will will be my first participation at any event .
Tailgating parties are incomplete without the buffalo wings . Normally these are chicken wings and are pretty spicy . The spice in the wings is the only reason I decided to give them a try . On one of our trips to Niagara Falls , I decided to try them . Hubby dear took me to the "Anchor bar " where the wings are supposed to be originated . I am not a fan of non vegetarian food . Being raised a vegetarian I started eating chicken and only chicken after meeting my husband . He is a foodie and loves to eat non vegetarian food . But he has never asked me to cook meat at home as he knows how uncomfortable it is for me . After moving to the US I realized I can not eat the chicken we get in the restaurants here . The chicken in Indian dishes is so well seasoned and spiced ,one can hardly feel he is eating meat . But it's not the case here . But buffalo wings is a totally different story . Some of the wings you get in Anchor Bar are so spicy they have even named them "suicidal " . Till now you must have guessed how much I LOVE the wings . But then I don't like them with bones . They should be well seasoned and most importantly they have to taste the same as the wings at Anchor bar . Now here is the main problem . I am about 300 miles away from Buffalo ,NY . So if I want to eat wings , I have to either drive there or find an alternative .
This was my moment of " I must make that " . Earlier there was Yahoo ,Google and now there is Pinterest . People there are so creative , there is hardly anything you don't find there . I had seen pictures for cauliflower steak , pizza and now wings . After reading the recipe I knew what I wanted to do . I had to tweak the recipe to suit my taste and the results were amazing . Kids and hubby loved it and so did I . the best thing is I can eat my favorite dish without eating any meat and without travelling 300 miles . I did not make the buffalo sauce at home and Frank's hot sauce worked very well . One more thing to note is I did not miss eating the real wings at all .
a big cauliflower head
1 cup rice flour
2 tbsp all purpose flour
3/4 cup buttermilk / water works as well
1/8 tsp grated garlic
2 tbsp Frank's hot sauce
salt to taste
Buffalo hot sauce :
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup Frank's hot sauce
How to :
1) Preheat the oven to 450 F.
2) Cut cauliflower into bite size florets .
3) Mix buttermilk , rice flour ,all purpose flour , grated garlic , hot sauce and salt to make a medium consistency batter . The batter should coat the back of the spoon .
4) Add cauliflower florets in the batter and stir gently to coat the florets well .
5) Line a cookie sheet with aluminium foil and spray with non stick spray .
6) Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or till the florets are gloden in color .
7) Meanwhile mix melted butter and hot sauce together .
8) Add the florets in the sauce to coat well .
9) The wings are ready to eat at this time . If you want the sauce to seep in the florets , put it in the oven for couple more minutes .
10 ) Serve hot with any dressing of your choice . The wings are normally eaten with blue cheese dressing but that's not a favorite at my place . So we had it with ranch .
So my friends, try these vegetarian wings and enjoy !!!