Wednesday, January 29, 2014
Ninav...Traditional Indian cake
Living abroad means kids don't get to taste grandma's , great grandma's food . I want to bring those recipes in my kitchen . I try to tell them how my grandma or their dad's grandma used to make some of these for us .
Ninav literally means ' with no name ...anonymous ..' . I really don't know how this dish got it's name . It's a traditional Maharashtrian dessert which is packed with goodness of whole wheat flour , besan or chick pea flour , coconut milk and jiggery . Since I got the Nutrimill , I can grind the grains of desired coarseness . This recipe is made with coarser flour but tastes equally good with the regular flours .
2 cups Besan/chick pea flour
1/2 cup Whole wheat flour
1/4 cup Ghee/ clarified butter
2 cups coconut milk
1 cup grated jaggery
1 tsp cardamom powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
2 tbsp. nuts to garnish
To Proceed :
This recipe can be made both in the oven or microwave .
1) Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan .
2) Roast besan and wheat flour together till a nice aroma fills the entire house and the flour changes it's color to golden brown . Turn the heat off .
3) Meanwhile dissolve the jaggery in the coconut milk and season with cardamom and nutmeg powder .
4) Add the roasted flour to the coconut milk and stir to make sure there are no lumps .
** *Oven :
1) Preheat the oven to 400 F .
2) Grease a baking tray and pour the mixture in it .
3) Bake in a pre heated oven for 30-35 minutes .
*** Microwave :
1) Grease a microwave safe deep dish .
2) Pour the mixture .
3) Microwave on high for 12 minutes .
5) Let the cake cool for 5 minutes .
6) Garnish with nuts and serve.