Tuesday, January 7, 2014
Princess Pea's tribute to her grandma .. Her first attempt of baking
It's been three weeks since Princess Pea lost her grandma . She wanted to do something that her grandma used to do . Her grandma used to make this cake for Princess Pea's dad , uncle and aunts . She did not have an oven then , but she baked it with the help of sand .
1 cup Rava / sooji / semolina
1 cup Yogurt
1 cup Milk ( at room temperature )
1 cup Sugar
3-4 tsp Ghee / Clarified butter
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
A pinch of saffron
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp water
To proceed :
1) Mix well all the ingredients except baking soda in a deep bowl .
2) Keep it aside for 2 hours .
3) Preheat the oven to 350 F .
4) Grease the cake pan with little ghee .
5) Mix baking soda with a tsp of water and add to the cake batter .
6 ) Pour the batter in greased cake pan .
7) Bake in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes or till the toothpick comes out clean .
8) The cake starts to turn brown and the aroma fills the entire house when it's done .
**** This cake stays fresh and good for 2-3 days . Hence very good for long drives , weekend trips or picnics too . ****
**** It's healthier as it does not have white flour or butter . ****