Tuesday, January 21, 2014
Eggless , sugarfree Nachani/Ragi cake
The kiddos are growing up fast and I am still holding on to the recipes I used to prepare when Jr. was young . A new mom always wants to feed her new baby the healthiest stuff on this planet and that leads her in search of recipes that fulfill her requirement . This is one of such recipes that is packed with good stuff required not only for kids but for a person of any age also . This cake does not contain white flour and sugar is replaced by iron packed dates .
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup Nachani / Ragi / Finger Millet flour
2 tbsp. chopped nuts ( optional )
1 tbsp. cocoa powder ( optional )
1 tsp cardamom powder
1 pinch nutmeg powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cups chopped dates
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup yogurt , thick , not strained
1/4 cup water - to grind the dates
To Proceed :
1) Grind the dates with enough water to make thick date puree .
2) Preheat the oven to 350 F .
3) Grease the cake pan .
4) Sift all the dry ingredients and keep aside .
5) Mix the date puree with rest of the wet ingredients for about 2-3 minutes .
6) Mix the wet and dry ingredients together gently .
7) Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or till the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean .
8) Cool for 5 minutes .
9) Serve warm or cold as per your liking .
10) Cool it completely if you wish to frost it .