Thursday, October 25, 2012
Dasara Special : Jalebi with Rabdi
I wish everyone a very Happy Dasara .. I was missing my home terribly on the day of Dasara . Being in Bangalore for almost 8 years made Dasara very special . The markets get ready for the festive season and people start planning for the 10 days school break . Dasara in Maharashtra is totally different from that in Karnataka .But the spirit is the same .Now living abroad makes it all different . You have normal everyday routine on the festivals too. Kids have school , activities and homework . I was listening to my family planning the Dasara sweets . And I miss all of that.. My MIL always talks about this particular dessert and I decided to surprise my family with their favorite dessert ..Jalebi( we call it Jilabi in marathi ) with Rabdi .This is an instant version though the traditional method is always the best .
1cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp corn flour / besan
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dry yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
2 tsp yogurt
1 tsp ghee/oil
pinch of saffron powder / turmeric powder /orange food color
oil for frying
Sugar Syrup :
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
a pinch of saffron
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 -1/2 tsp rose essence(optional )
To make the Jalebi :
1) Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup lukewarm water .Let it sit for 5 mins .
2) In a bowl mix all purpose flour,ghee,sugar,and saffron powder together .
3) Add yogurt to it .
4) Add the yeast mixture in the dry ingredients and make a smooth ,lump free ,ribbon consistency batter .You may need to add some water to it .
5) cover the bowl and let sit for 1/2 hour .
6) The batter looks spongy when fermented .
7) Fill the Jalebi batter in jalebi making bottle /empty clean ketchup bottle/icing bag .
8) Heat oil in a pan .
9) Pipe the Jalebi in circular motion to desired size .
10) Fry till golden brown on both sides .
11) Put in the warm sugar syrup just for a few second .
12) Drain and Keep on a plate .
To make Sugar Syrup :
1) Dissolve sugar in water in a heavy bottom pan and let it boil .
2) Reduce the heat and simmer till it reaches one string consistency .
3) Add cardamom powder ,lemon juice ,rose water and saffron to it .
4) Turn off the stove .
Instant Rabdi :
1can evaporated milk
1 can condense4d milk
2 tbsp cashew powder
2 tbsp corn flour
1/4 tsp cardamom powder
To make Rabdi :
1) Mix evaporated milk and condensed milk in a microwave safe bowl .
2) Microwave on high for 8 mins stirring every 2 mins .
3) Add cashew powder and MW on high for 2 mins .
4) Add cornflour and MW on high for 2 mins stirring every 30 seconds .
5) Add cardamom powder .
6) Rabdi will further become thick after cooling down .
To Garnish :
Sliced pistachios ,almonds and saffron strands .
Assemble the Dessert :
1) Spoon some Rabdi on a plate .
2) Place Jalebies over it .
3) Spoon some more rabdi .
4) Garnish with chooped almond,pistacios and saffron .