Pages

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Cranberry Pickle


                      


                            It's fall and we can feel the chill in the air . The stores are getting ready for the holidays . Grocery stores are stocking up on supplies for the festive foods . You hear people talking about thanksgiving and christmas . My favorite part of thanksgiving dinner  is the cranberry sauce . The first time I had cranberry sauce , I fell in love with it . Then I had cranberry orange relish and there began my love for cranberries . I like to eat them fresh ,dried ,in sauce, jelly , in cookies and scones and everything that can accomodate them . Come fall and the grocery stores display these bright red ,dainty berries . They are in season from October to January . They have sour ,tart and a refreshing taste just like that of raw mango . And if they remind me of raw mango ,they remind me of grandma's mango pickle .
                          
                           I used store bought pickle masala that one of the family friend had recently gifted me . This pickle is pretty easy to make .


One bag of fresh cranberries
1/2 cup of store bought pickle masala
1/4 cup oil

How to :

1) Wash and dry the cranberries .
2) Cut them in half .
3) Heat the oil till it's smoking . Let it cool down completely .
4) Mix the pickle masala with the cranberries .Mix to coat the cranberries .
5)At this point you can start testing . If enough of the pickle is left then you can proceed with the next step .
6) Put it in aglass jar .
7) Add the oil and mix well .
 
           Let it marinate for a day if you have self control(oops...I don't ) . The cranberry pickle is ready to rock .



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Reminds me of instant pickles which my uncle made for us using any type of mango or raw green tamarind from the trees.
Love Ash.

Kane's Coop said...

Thanks Ash...