Tuesday, October 30, 2012
Oats Rava Chia seeds banana nut bread
This week started with the anticipation of the arrival of this unwanted guest ; Hurricane Sandy .. State of emergency was declared and everyone was at home . After a long time all of us were home and there were no activities,no errands to run and no outdoor play . We decided to make it a fun time . No fun is complete without baking in Kane's coop . So here it is indian flavored oats-rava-chia seeds banana nut bread . It's a wholesome , healthy ,filling bread and packed with protein and calcium for active kids . I got this recipe from Donna and Usha and tweaked it a little . Junior had once told me how to write recipes for cakes and breads the way he is learning at school .
Dry Ingredients :
1 cup old fashioned oats
2 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 cup fine rava/sooji/cream of wheat
3 tbsp almond powder
1/4 cup walnuts
3 tbsp flax seed powder
2 tbsp everest milk masala
5-6 cardamoms powdered
1/8 tsp nutmeg powder
couple of pinches of saffron
3/4 cup brown sugar ** you can use regular sugar also**
1 tsp baking powder
Wet Ingredients :
2 1/2 Ripe bananas
1 cup milk
4 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
To decorate :
2 tbsp sugar
To make the bread :
1) Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2) Grase the cake pan with baker's spray .
3) Powder the oats and chia seeds together .
4) Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a pan and roast oats-chia seeds flour with rava till there is this nice aroma .
5) Keep aside and cool down completely .
6) Mix all the dry ingredients except baking powder in a big bowl .
7) Puree bananas with milk and the remaining ghee.
8) Add to the dry ingredients and mix well .
9) Add baking powder and mix well .
10) Pour in the prepared pan and bake for 30 mins or till the toothpick inserted comes out clean .
11) Invert on a plate and sprinkle sugar with the help of a strainer .
Serve warm . The kiddos like it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream .