Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Garden rotini in avocado sauce



         


                    Kane's Coop just loves avocados and pasta is always a hit with the kids . Diwali is approching and kids are busy with their practices in addition to regular activities . Pasta is a kind of meal I can count on when kiddos are tired . One of my friends was telling me how she would love pasta with some green sauce on red and green themed dinner for christmas and I knew what I was making for dinner tonight . Princess Pea loves beans so I try to add beans in every meal I make . I found a recipe on US Masala and tweaked it according to my family's taste . The sauce is smooth and creamy and goes well with any kind of pasta . I prefer Penne or Rotini or something that will hold more sauce than spaghetti .
      
Pasta :-
1 box of whole wheat garden rotini
*** you can use any pasta of your choice ***

Sauce :-
3 ripe avocadoes
1 cup spinach
1/2 cup cilantro
4 cloves of garlic
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup toasted walnuts
salt to taste
1/4 cup olive oil
1 can garbanzo beans/chickpeas/chhole

Pasta :-

Boil the pasta according to the directions on the box . Drain .Reserve 1/2  pasta water and keep aside .

Sauce :
1) Blend together avocados , spinach ,cilantro,garlic ,walnuts and half of the garbanzo beans to a smooth paste .
2) Use oil instead of water to make into a smooth paste .
Add salt and lemon juice and blend again .

Assembly :

Toss the pasta in prepared avocado sauce . Adjust the consistency by using reserved pasta water . Mix with rest of the garbanzo beans . Serve with garlic bread and soup .

No comments: