Thursday, October 25, 2012
Ganesh Chartuthi brings with it excitement , peace,happiness and positivity . We miss the festive atmosphere here but still the heart is bouncing with joy . Every year I make modak and every passing year the kids enjoy it more . This year I planned to make modak in the microwave . What is the use of all these appliances if you don't use them . so here comes microwave modak..
1 cup rice flour
1 cup water
1 tsp oil
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp sabudana powder (optional : if you are not sure how old the rice flour is ..)
To make dough :
1) Add salt and oil to water in a microwave safe bowl . Microwave on high for 2 mins .
2) Add rice flour and using sabudana flour . Mix well , cover and microwave on high for 2 -3 mins till the mixture looks shiny .
3) Knead the dough in the food processor .
1 cup grated coconut
1 cup jaggery
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
To make filling :
1) In a microwave safe bowl mix grated coconut and jaggery .
2) Microwave on high for 4 mins till the mixture looks dry and sticky .
3) Add cardamom powder and mix well .
4) Keep aside and let it cool .
To mold :
1) Take a small ball of the dough .
2) Roll it with your palms to about 3"diameter .
3) Add 1 tbsp of filling in it .
4) Make 8-10 folds in the dough .( Traditionally we make 21 folds in the dough )
5) Shape and close the modak as it looks in the picture .
To steam :
In microwave :
1) Add water in a microwave safe bowl . Keep one small bowl filled with water in the bowl and cover with a plate that will fit in that pot .
2) Wet the paper towel on the plate .
3) Dip the modak in water and place on the wet towel .
4) Cover and steam for 4 mins .
In rice cooker :
1) Boil water in the rice cooker .
2) Lay the wet paper towel on the steamer or a sieve .
3) Place the modak on the towel and steam for 10 mins .
To serve :
Place the modak on a plate .Add a tsp of ghee and serve warm .
Enjoy....Ganapati Bappa Morya !!!!