1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm milk
1 tsp sugar
1/4 cup / 1/2 stick unsalted butter
1/4 cup sugar ( + 2 Tbsp if you like it sweeter )
1/2 cup hot milk
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour ( you might need 1/4 cup or little more to make a soft elastic dough )
1 egg , beaten
oil for deep frying
How to proceed :
I used my Cuisinart automatic bread machine to make the dough .
1) Add all the ingredients in the order as listed .
If you want to make it without bread machine
1) Add 1 tsp sugar and yeast to warm milk and allow to prove .
2) Mix together butter , sugar and hot milk till the butter is creamy and melted and sugar dissolves .
3) Let it cool a bit .
4) Add egg and mix well .
5) Add 1/2 cup of flour and yeast .Mix well .
6) Add rest of the flour to make soft elastic dough .
7) Cover and let rise till double in volume .
8) Punch down the dough lightly .
9) Divide the dough in 3 / 4 ( to roll it easily )
10) Roll the dough with little or no pressure about 1/4 of an inch thick .
11) Cut the doughnuts with doughnut cutter . I don't have one so I used the cookie cutters .
12) Keep on lightly greased cookie sheet and let rise for about 30 minutes .
13) Heat oil on medium heat .
14) Fry the doughnuts on medium low flame till golden brown .
15 ) Keep on paper towel .
16 ) Dip in the glaze while still warm .
Plain Glaze :
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 Tbsp+ 1/2 tsp boiling water
Mix together to make glaze of coating consistency( it should coat the back of spoon ) .
Chocolate Glaze :
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
Melt in double boiler or microwave on 50% power for 30 sec - 1 min . stirring occasionally .
Sprinkles for decoration
The leftover dough can be rolled to make doughnut holes . I put them in a zip lock bag with powder sugar to coat well .