Thursday, March 28, 2013
Watermelon rind kofta curry
For kofta :
2 cups grated watermelon rind ( green and white part)
1 cup besan( chickpea flour)
2 tbsp freshly made paneer
1/2 tsp ginger paste
salt to taste
oil to fry
For gravy :
2 tbsp oil + 1 tbsp
2 onions chopped
1 tsp ginger paste
1/2 tsp garilic paste
1 tsp khas khas( white poppy seeds )
2 tomatoes ,pureed
1/4 cup yogurt
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala
salt to taste
2 cups water
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
To proceed :
1) Squeeze as much water as possible from the grated watermelon rind .
2) Add besan ,paneer, salt and ginger paste to form a loose dough .
3) Makje koftas of desired size and shape .
4) Fry in hot oil till golden brown in color and drain on paper towel .
1) Soak cashews and khas khas in warm water for 10 minutes .
2) Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and fry chopped onions till they turn dark brown .
3) Let the browned onions cool down .
4) Grind browned onions along with soaked cashews , khaskhas and 1/4 cup yogurt to a fine paste .
5) Heat a tbsp of oil in pan and add the onion paste .
6) Fry the onions till you see oil seperating from the sides . ( It won't take more than 2 minutes as the onions are already cooked )
7) Add ginger garlic paste and fry for another minute .
8) Add tomato puree and cook till oil seperates .
9) Add all the dry spices and fry for another minute .
10) Add tomato ketchup and continue cooking for a minute .
11) Add salt and water .
12 ) Bring the gravy to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes with cover .
13) Drop the koftas in the gravy .
14) Let the koftas sit in the gravy for 15 minutes .( off the heat )
15 )Garnish with chopped cilantro .
16 ) Serve hot with rice ,roti,puri or paratha.
** The green part of the rind is little hard .It gets soft when kept in the gravy for 15 minutes .
** Fresh paneer was made by boiling one cup of milk and adding a few drops of lemon juice to it . Put it on paper towel and it's ready to use .
** Adding yougurt while making onion paste reduces the amount of oil in the recipe .
** Adding a pinch of sugar helps browning onions .
** Tomato ketchup adjusts the sourness of the gravy along with enhancing the color of the gravy if tomatoes are not bright red .