Friday, January 24, 2014
Meatless Lentil and bean meatloaf with mushroom gravy
Being in a place where there are very few Indians , challenges what to serve when friends come over . Kids many times are not willing to try anything new . On one such occasion , I decided to serve this meatless meatloaf and it was accepted very well . I made mushroom gravy to make it look authentic and served it with some mashed potatoes .
For Meatloaf :
1 cup oats ( any kind )
1 onion ,chopped
1/2 cups chopped mixed vegetables , boiled and drained ( I used carrots, peas, peppers )
2 cups cooked and drained beans ( I used nine beans - kidney beans , chick peas , black eyed peas , moong , moth , pinto beans , whole udid , horse gram , and white peas - soaked overnight and cooked)
1 cup cooked and drained mixed lentils ( toor , masoor )
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp Garam masala
1 packet readymade meatloaf spice packet
1 tsp salt
Mushroom Gravy :
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. whole wheat flour
1 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
To Proceed :
1) Preheat the oven to 400 F.
2) Grease a loaf pan .
3) Pulse the oats in the food processor .
4) Add and pulse all the beans and lentils and vegetables.
5) The mixture should be grainy and almost pureed .
6) Add garlic paste , spices ,and salt .
7) Spoon the mixture in greased loaf pan and smooth the top .
8) Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes .
1) Heat butter in a pan .
2) sauté mushrooms and keep aside .
3) Add whole wheat flour and roast till the raw smell goes away .
4) Add milk and stir to make sure there are no lumps .
5) Add salt ad pepper to taste .
6) Add mushrooms and mix well .
7) Boil till sauce is thick .
Serve the warm meatloaf with mushroom gravy . Enjoy !!