What we need :
· Maida /all purpose flour - 3 cup
· Yogurt - 3 table spoon.
· Baking soda - 1/3 tea spoon.
· Baking powder - 1/2 tea spoon.
· Sugar - 1 tea spoon.
· Oil - 1 table spoon.
· Salt - 3/4 tea spoon / to taste
To garnish : (optional) -
Coarsely ground coriander seeds
Red chili flakes
· Potato - 4 big / 6 medium , boiled
· Salt - 1/2 tea spoon (or according to the taste)
· Green chilli - 1-2 (chopped)
· Ginger - 1 inch long piece (grated)
· Amchoor powder - 1/2 tea spoon.
· Coriander powder - 1 tea spoon.
· Red chilli powder - 1-2 pinch.
· Garam masala - 1/4 tea spoon
· Coriander leaves - 1 table spoon (chopped)
How to :
The kulcha dough:
- In a mixing bowl take 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, ¼ tsp baking soda, 1 tsp sugar, ¾ to 1 tsp salt or as required.
- Add 2 tbsp curd/yogurt and 3 tsp oil.
- With a spoon or with your hands lightly mix everything.
- Add water. i added ⅔ cup water in parts. The amount of water to be added, depends on the quality of flours.
- Mix and knead to a smooth soft dough. Cover the dough and keep aside for 2 hours.
The potato stuffing:
- Meanwhile, steam or boil 4 to 5 potatoes (about 300 to 350 grams) till they are cooked through completely.
- Peel and then mash the potatoes with a potato masher.
- Add the chopped green chilies, ½ tsp red chili powder, ½ tsp dry mango powder, ¼ to ½ tsp garam masala powder and 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix the spices and herbs with the mashed potatoes very well. Check the taste and add more of the salt, green chilies, dry mango powder if required.
- Preheat the oven to the highest setting . Heat the cookie sheet / pizza stone for 10 minutes .
- Make medium sized balls from the kulcha dough.
- Sprinkle flour on the rolling board and on the dough ball.
- With a rolling pin, roll it into a diameter of 5 to 6 inches diameter.
- Place the potato stuffing in the center .
- Bring the edges together and join them at the center.
- Gently roll to a large disc of about 7 to 8 inches in diameter.
- Sprinkle some ground coriander seeds and press them in well. Sprinkle some cilantro and chilli flakes,garam masala.
- Gently place each kulcha on the hot baking stone. Bake kulchas for 5-6 minutes or till they turn golden brown on 500F temperature.
- Remove when done and apply some butter or ghee.
Alternate method :
- Heat tawa / griddle on high flame.
- On a hot tava or griddle, gently place the stuffed kulcha.
- Flip over when one side is partly cooked. Spread some ghee or oil on this side. The amount of ghee or oil to be added, depends upon you. flip again and now spread some ghee or oil on this side.
- Press the edges with a spatula to ensure that they are cooked.
- Flip once or twice to ensure even roasting and cooking.
- Brush ½ to 1 tsp of butter and spread it with a butter knife or spoon. Prepare all the kulchas with the above method .
- After making each kulcha, wipe the tawa with a wet clean kitchen towel to get rid of the browned or burnt flour.