Pages

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Paushtik Kheer


       You most probably won't believe me if I tell you my kids LOVE rice and lentils . They can ( read they do )eat it for each and every meal and today when I asked them what they would like for snack , all they said was Varan- Bhat / Dal- Chawal / Steamed rice with plain lentils. I sometimes get sooo tired of just the sight of this, I decided to give it a different look . And yes, the kids loved it . Its a protein packed drink and very yummy too .

     What we need :

1/2 cup cooked Rice ( leftover can be used )
1 cup cooked Toor Dal
2 cups of Milk
1 cup grated jiggery
2 Tbsp Almond powder
1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
a pinch of Nutmeg powder
a pinch of Saffron
2 Tbsp MTR Badam milk powder ( optional )*
1 Tbsp Everest milk masala ( optional)*

To Proceed :

1) Grind rice and dal along with some milk to make a smooth paste .
2) Use remaining milk to clean the jar .
3) Heat on medium low heat till thoroughly heated .
4) Add grated jiggery and let it dissolve .
5) Add almond powder , cardamom -nutmeg powder and saffron .
6) Bring to a low boil .
7) Turn the stove off.

Enjoy warm or cold . You can add chopped cashews,almonds or any other dry fruit of your choice .

* I did not use any of them though .*

No comments: