Tuesday, March 4, 2014
Tomato Omelette / Vegetarian eggless Omelette Sandwich
Being in a school district where there are hardly any Indians , packing lunch becomes difficult . The younger kids are not open to different scents , nor looks . It's easier to say in theory , kids should be nice and kind to other kid even when they get nauseous after smelling or looking at somebody's food . Oh ..no... I am not complaining . I have been there . The smells that appeal the most to me ( Indian tadka )might be painful for the other and I know exactly how I feel when I pass the sea food counter or a steak house . Age just teaches us how to hide our feelings to not to hurt anyone . My solution to this is fusion food .Sandwiches top that list . This is one sandwich that kiddos and their daddy love . Traditional food meets modern bread .
What we need :
1 medium/large onion finely chopped
3-4 medium tomatoes finely chopped
1/4 green pepper finely chopped
1/2 cup zucchini finely chopped
2 green chilies finely chopped
1/2 cup cilantro finely chopped
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp salt / to taste
2 cups besan / gram flour / chickpea flour
1 1/2 cups water
oil for coating the pan
12 slices of bread of your choice
To Proceed :
1) In a deep bowl , mix besan , salt, asafoetida ,turmeric powder and 1 cup of water to make a smooth a batter .
2) Add tomatoes,onions,peppers,zucchini ,chilies and cilantro and mix well .
3) Adjust the consistency of the batter by adding more water .
4) The consistency of the batter should be like the pancake batter .
5) Heat a frying pan or griddle on medium low heat .
6) Brush the hot pan with little oil .
7) Spread 1/4 cup of batter in a pan and spread like a pancake .
8) Let it cook on each side for about 3-4 mins or till little brown .
9) Toast the bread slices and apply butter on them .
10) Cut the omelette in 4 pieces and arrange them on the buttered side of the bread .
Serve with date-tamarind chutney .
*** You can add ginger-garlic paste to the batter if you like.***
*** Any vegetable of your choice can be added to this .***
*** Tomato ketchup or any other sauce / chutney can be applied to the bread along with butter .***
*** Instead of making sandwich , this can be eaten as is with chutney or ketchup .***