Sunday, September 2, 2012
Tomato Basil Pizza on Cauliflower crust
Hello dear ones...It's long weekend and both Mr.AJ and I are down with flu . I know it's not a great long weekend at Kane's Coop . When kids are home,they are always hungry . We had plans for the long weekend but had to cancel them . Here in the US ,you have to cook your own food even if you are not well . I wanted to make something that would be filling and healthy too . Who else could I turn to seek help at such time ...no other than Pinterest . I have a friend whose entire family is allergic to all possible things .She had challenged me to come up with a pizza for her . And there it was....Gluten free pizza...
It may sound strange but the pizza crust is made from cauliflower . I had homegrown tomatoes and basil .I was really low on cheese but guess what ..the kiddos did not even notice it...yay...This is a super fast recipe . It takes less than 30 minute from start to finsh ... Isn't is great to make it on a busy day ...
What we need :
A small head of cauliflower , grated
1 Egg beaten
2 Garlic cloves , grated
1 tsp pizza seasoning
1/2 cup pizza sauce
2 tomatoes ,sliced
handful of Basil leaves
1cup of grated mozzarella cheese (I did not have grated cheese so I used the deli slices )
Add ins :- Bell peppers ,olives ,mushrooms , pineapple or anything you like on your pizza..
1) Grate the cauliflower with a grater or food processor .If grating it in food processor ,we need to be careful not to puree it .We should process it till it looks grainy . Cook in a microwave for 8-9 minutes stirring halfway through .There is no need to add any water in this . the moisture in cauliflower helps in cooking it .
2)While the cauliflower is cookng,preheat the oven to 450 degrees .
3)Grease the cookie sheet with non stick cooking spray or oil .
4) When the cauliflower is cooked try to get as much as water out of it by squeezing it with the paper towel .
5) Add beaten egg , grated garlic , and pizza seasoning to it . Mix well .
6) Press it down on the greased cookie sheet to make a round pizza ...about 10"diameter..
7) Lightly brush with oil oil and bake for 15 minutes .
8) Spread the pizza sauce ,toppings and cheese on the crust .
9) Broil it on high for 3-4 minutes or untill the cheese melts .
10) Let it cool for 5 minutes and serve hot .
So dear ones , enjoy your long weekend while I rest and recover ....