Sunday, December 2, 2012
Egg Methi Malai
It's halloween .. Kids are super excited to wear their costumes and go trick or treating . Halloween is associated with different colors ; orange, green and purple . Pumpkins and corn...
I wanted to make dinner on the same theme. Kiddos love eggs . And they go well on cold nights . I had methi (fenugreek) leaves in the fridge . Moms always want to make greens appetizing for kids . Same goes with me too . This was a perfect occasion when they ould be eating without any fuss . I made spooky vegetable biryani to along with the curry . Hope recipe of the spooky biryani makes to my blog soon...
We need :-
8 Eggs - Hard boiled
2 cups methi -chopped
1 medium onion - chopped
paste of 2" ginger and 3-4 garlic cloves
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2-3 whole cardamom
Paste of 4-5 cashews and 4-5 almonds soaked for 1/2 hr
1 cup yogurt
1 cup heavy cream ( optional : 1/2 cup heavy cream + 1/2 cup whole milk )
salt and sugar to taste
1 Tbsp Ghee or butter
To Proceed :-
1) Make slits on the hard boiled eggs in a way that they make a plus sign if put together ; i.e. one cut on each side of the egg .
2) Boil the onions in enough water till they are soft and tender .
3) Drain and make paste of boiled onions .This gives a sweeter taste to the gravy .
4) Heat ghee in pan ,add whole cardamoms and cloves .
5) Add the onion paste ,ginger -garlic paste and fry till the oil seperates .
6) Add turmeric powder ,coriander powder and garam masala and fry for a minute .
7) Add chopped methi and fry till the leaves start wilting .
8) Add yogurt and cook till the oil seperates .
9) Add the cashew-almond paste and fry for a minute .
10) Add the eggs and let the masala coat the eggs well .
11) Add salt and sugar to taste .
12) Add heavy cream and cook till the gravy comes to a boil . You can adjudt the consistency either with milk or water if needed .
Serve warm with rice,pulao,biryani and roti ,naan , poori too . This gravy is on sweeter side and is favored by the kids .