Sunday, December 9, 2012
Potato rosti with poached egg
Having a teenager boy in home is not easy on moms . And when that kid is busy with many activities , store bought snacks are definitely not for him . Then come many fads and trends that he wants to follow . One of many such fads is having some classy ,elegant , fancy aka restaurant style breakfast . Jr wants to have elaborate breakfast at 6:30 in the morning . His growing body needs a proper start of the day and I want him to go to school with a happy face .
I wanted to impress Jr with the the breakfast . I wanted to present all the good stuff in a fancy way . Here is the solution to this problem . The rosti is a nice twist to hash browns . The poached egg served on top of the rosti along with homegrown tomatoes and avocadoes make a perfect dish to brighten your day . This was served with berry parfait topped with homemade granola to make it a balanced dish .
We need :
3 medium potatoes , boiled
1 tsp ginger-garlic-chilli paste
salt to taste
salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 avocado , sliced
1 baby tomato halved
2 tsp butter
To proceed :
1) Peel and loosely grate boiled potatoes .
2) Add ginger-garlic-chilli paste .
3) Add salt to taste and mixed lightly not to break grated potatoes.
4) Heat a heavy bottom pan and melt 1 tsp butter .
5) Lightly press the potatoes and cook till the bottom turns golden brown , for about 3 minutes .
6) Turn and cook the other side for another 3 minutes or till it turns golden brown.
7) Bring water to a rolling boil in a deep pan and lower the heat .
8) Crack egg in the water and cook the way you like . Jr likes it well done/ fully cooked .
9) Carefully place the potato rosti on a plate .
10) Top it with poached egg .
11) Season with salt and black pepper .
12 ) Serve with avocado slices and sliced tomatoes .
I did not add cheese on it but you are welcome to add it . I served it with berry parfait but can be served with milk ,coffee or juice .
Enjoy friends and keep warm .